for ages 3-5
Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m.
Summer Reading Program
June of each year.
History of the Hoke County Public Library
The 107 charter members of the Association served as fund raisers and as volunteers. Mrs. Jennie Weaver was the first paid librarian, and she was responsible for great outreach. Reading stations were set up in Home Demonstration Club Houses. Service to children was started as early as 1938 when a reading contest winner received Louisa May Alcott's Little Women.
In October, 1940, the Hoke County Library moved to a building that had been a livery stable at the turn of the century. This was located on Elwood Street, across from the present postoffice. When North Carolina State Library was established by the State legislature in 1941, a professional librarian was required. In 1950 a bookmobile service started, and circulation in rural areas soon increased to rival and sometimes exceed in-library circulation. This service continued until 1987.
A contract between Cumberland and Hoke Counties between 1957 and 1974 provided for a professional librarian to come over from Cumberland one day a week, and books were borrowed from Cumberland as well. In 1975 Hoke County became part of the Sandhill Regional Library System, making this the only five-county system in North Carolina. A new library was built in 1976 as a project of the Hoke County Bicentennial Committee. Dedicated in July, it opened in October.